How to properly pass on an IRA

North Carolina residents who have an IRA may designate a beneficiary to the account or otherwise include it in an estate plan. How it is accounted for generally depends on who it is going to. It could go to a spouse, which may be beneficial because he or she can simply put the money into his or her own account. Giving the money to a spouse may also be beneficial because that person can delay withdrawals until age 70 1/2.

However, those who don't have spouses significantly younger than age 70 1/2 may be better off transferring the account to a child or grandchild. This is because future generations may benefit from being able to stretch tax benefits throughout their entire lifetime. It is important to note that the "stretch IRA" may not be around in the future because not many people know about it.

Anyone who is planning on transferring IRA assets to someone who is too young to manage the money themselves should consider a trust. This may also be ideal for parents or grandparents with children or grandchildren with special needs as the trust can be the beneficiary. That would allow the money to be held outside of the estate, which may allow the person with special needs to retain the inheritance and not lose out on government benefits.

An IRA may allow an individual to name a beneficiary simply by writing that person's name on a form. An charitable group may also be named as a beneficiary if desired. An attorney may be able to help a person name a beneficiary or review a current designation to see if it is still appropriate. By making a beneficiary designation, it may make it easier to transfer the asset after passing on.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response
Orsbon & Fenninger, LLP - Estate Planning

Talk With Us: Schedule A Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Location

Orsbon & Fenninger, LLP
4201 Congress St.
Suite 110
Charlotte, NC 28209

Toll Free: 888-314-8134
Phone: 704-900-3883
Fax: 704-556-9601
Charlotte Law Office Map

Office Hours: Monday : 8:30am–5pm Tuesday : 8:30am–5pm Wednesday : 8:30am–5pm Thursday : 8:30am–5pm Friday : 8:30am–5pm